Adult Adolescent Parenting Inventory (AAPI)
The AAPI-2 is an inventory designed to assess the parenting and child rearing attitudes of adult and adolescent parent and pre-parent populations. Based on the known parenting and child rearing behaviors of abusive parents, responses to the inventory provide an index of risk for practicing behaviors known to be attributable to child abuse and neglect.
Valid and Reliable Inventories used to Assess Parenting Attitudes, Knowledge and History.
The Benefits of Assessment
- Measure the pre and post effectiveness of your parenting program
- Determine parenting strengths and areas that need improvement
- Increase the probability of funding with built-in pre-process-post assessment
The Levels of Assessment
- Pre: Data collected prior to the formal start of your program to determine entry level capabilities
- Process: Data collected during the program to monitor ongoing growth and changes
- Post: Data collected at the completion of your program to determine the level of growth and future intervention needs of the family
Types of Assessment
- Knowledge: What do parents and teens know of appropriate parenting practices?
- Attitudes: What attitudes do parents and teens express about raising children?
- History: What childhood history do parents and teens have that affects their parenting?
Sub-Scales - Responses to the AAPI-2 provide an index of risk in five specific parenting and child rearing behaviors:
- Construct A - Inappropriate Expectations of Children
- Construct B - Parental Lack of Empathy Towards Children's Needs
- Construct C - Strong Parental Belief in the Use of Corporal Punishment
- Construct D - Reversing Parent-Child Family Roles
- Construct E - Oppressing Children's Power and Independence
Intended Populations - Adult parent and pre-parent populations as well as adolescent parent and pre-parent populations as young as 13 years old.
Reading Level - The AAPI-2 has an assessed fifth grade reading level.
Validity and Reliability - The AAPI-2, like its predecessor the AAPI, is a validated and reliable inventory used to assess parenting attitudes. Over 20 years of research with the AAPI indicate:
- Abusive parents express significantly more abusive attitudes than non-abusive parents
- Males, regardless of status (abusive or non-abusive) express significantly more abusive parenting attitudes than females
- Adolescents with histories of being abused express significantly more abusive parenting attitudes than non-abused adolescents
- Male adolescents express significantly more abusive parenting attitudes than female adolescents
- Each of the five parenting constructs of the AAPI-2, forming the five sub-scales of the inventory, show significant diagnostic and discriminatory validity. That is, responses to the inventory discriminate between the parenting behaviors of known abusive parents and the behaviors of non-abusive parents. These findings hold true for abused adolescents and non-abused adolescents.
Benefits of AAPI-2 OnLine (AssessingParenting.com)
Available in English, Spanish, Kreyol, Korean, Arabic
- Administer and Score the AAPI Anytime. The AAPI OnLine is available 24 hours a day.
- Cost Savings. Enter data one time only and export immediately!
- Accuracy. Let the AAPI OnLine do the scoring for you. Scoring errors go down: accuracy goes up.
- Data Privacy. Only the agency staff assigned to the account will have access to your data. Agencies create their own personal user name and password for security.
- Data Export. The AAPI OnLine allows you to export saved data into an excel program that converts easily to other statistical programs for more in-depth analyses.
- Individual and Group Profiles. AAPI OnLine provides you with scored copies of the Parenting Profile, along with the numeric value of each item's response.
- Manage Data by Program. All data are stored in Programs. Programs are the various interventions offered by an agency. Storing data by Programs allows agency staff to review the outcome data of specific interventions.
- Clinical Interpretation of Parenting Profiles. Information is provided to interpret the profiles and to create an effective intervention designed to build positive, nurturing parenting behaviors.
- Download Test Forms. Once you establish an AAPI OnLine account, you will receive a bounce back activation email that allows you to download and print all the forms.
- Data Storage. At the end of each Program, staff is encouraged to download and save their data.