Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Families Lesson Guide is a Supplemental that blends Nurturing Parenting with the uniqueness of LGBT Families.
Six Sessions that Empower Parents and Professionals
- Diversity and Its Place in America
- Transcending Prejudice and Discrimination
- Spirituality and Belief Systems
- Brain Development, Gender and Domestic Violence
- Diversity Within Diversity
- Our Children and Our Hopes
Major Goals for Teaching and Understanding the Parenting Traditions of LGBT Families
- To help LGBT parents connect with each other and reconnect with themselves and their children for a meaningful progression to equity, dignity, and respect in a society that often strays from its commitment to establish equality for all people.
- To help professionals advance the development of LGBT parenting skills by integrating contemporary concepts of parenting with successful approaches to working with LGBT parents and their children.
- To present a definitive and different parenting program developed within and reflective of the LGBT culture and strategies to develop a variety of responses to those outside the LGBT family.
- To examine any negative messages and images of self and families and encourage positive messages and images.
- To help participants (parents, co-parents, relatives, professionals, paraprofessionals, those involved with families, and others) become their authentic selves and, therefore, help children become their authentic selves.